Tuesday, April 29, 2008

on being ill

I went to a doctor yesterday. I've been having fever on and off since Saturday. I will take some paracetamol, break into a sweat, feel better only to have a fever again, a few hours later.

It's been going on for a few days.

The doctor says that it is normal and that I just have to let my body build up immunity against the virus. I am supposed to take paracetamol or panadol when the fever comes.

Fantastic.

Except with this heat? I cannot tell if I am feeling hot and warm because of a fever or because of the heat. I also cannot tell if I am sweating because of the humidity or if it is because the body is on a winning streak against the fever because of the medicine.

Fantastic.

I've also been taking different versions of paracetamol because I'm cleaning up the house supply. Doctor-dispensed parcofen, doctor-dispensed paracetamol, over-the-counter panadol, you name it, the Chups ate it. The doctor I saw yesterday didn't prescribe me any paracetamol or its equivalent because I told him I have them in the house.

But it's all gone now. Woo-hoo !!

On a side note, while googling to check if I had spelt 'paracetamol' correctly, I learnt from Wikipedia that it is derived from all things......'coal tar'.

I have been ingesting the by-products of coal tar.

Fantastic.

It's bad enough knowing that there are funny chemicals with potential side effects running amok in the body. Of course it may not be 'coal tar' per se but....I'm going to turn to the Chup's residential pharmacist for help.

Jac..can you please clarify this?

And I don't want to sound whiny here but......I really hate being sick and trust me..having a fever in this weather is the last thing anybody wants.

No comments: