Sunday, January 20, 2008

Jay Chou's concert '08

Jay Chou's concert was disappointing. I've been to 3 I think and the latest one (which was so darn hard to get tickets for) was the lousiest of all that I've seen.

There was definitely something wrong, to my ears, that is.

Nana was saying he 'minus-ed' a few keys, completely avoiding the higher ranges. I knew it was wrong but once she pointed that out. Yeah.. it seemed like he was singing at least 2 keys lower. That is like at least 4 semitones?! For 'Ju Hua Tai' he had trouble holding the notes. He sounded breathless and lyrics came out staggered.

Then of course, I have to admit that I am no trained professional. But let's say even if his pitch, tone and key was perfect, his voice wasn't pretty. The funny thing was...his older songs were ok. Perhaps he tweaked his later compositions to a more appealing key and found himself unable to maintain quality at the higher range.

A segment of the concert...and 'live' was better of course because I didn't get the most expensive tickets and so wasn't sitting at the front when I was recording this. Still....taking into account the poorer audio quality, the flaws were evident. The parts where the notes were down by a semitone...flatter....(>.<)

Updated: I compared this video with the MTV on Youtube....the concert one sounds lower...



Pitch, tone, even the key seemed understated. Nana was of the opinion that he couldn't make it 'live' as in he couldn't hit the high notes 'live' so to be safe, keys of some songs were lowered. Of course the consequence of that is the characteristics of the song will be lost. Somehow this concert paled in comparison to his previous concerts despite the large amount of fireworks, laser lights and fanciful dancers.

It was a good show but ultimately the point to his concert, (which was his voice !!!) lacked lustre. I guess I will still support his CDs as there are clearly not much fault with them. However as to his concerts, I will have to think twice after being so disillusioned. At least if I am ever going again to see if there is any redeeming factors, I will be purchasing the cheapest ticket available.

Of course, the general opinion that I've gotten so far was that his concert was fabulous. Definitely.....the glamour and 'seh' was there what.. plus all the gimicks and fireworks and colourful ribbons floating down....

I suppose that it is unsurprising that his talent as a singer did not impress. After all, nobody is expected to have it all. Well...either he was not feeling on form that day or he bit off more than he could chew with his later compositions.

Ok..I just thought of one redeeming factor... there didn't seem to be a problem with his tempo..rhythmic sense was ok...

Status: disillusioned...

No comments: