Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Trying out the arcade machine.

I met up with Branded today and we had a long chat over dinner. I had coffee which wasn't a good idea. I will be awake till late tonight.

Anyway after coffee I wanted to try out an arcade trick that Nana taught. I tried it out at one of the machines that allows for the capture of plush toys. I changed 10 bucks, if it didn't work, then that was that.

I chose a machine that was filled with cute hamsters. I wasted one dollar making sense of the machine. I haven't tried it in years and when I tried it in my primary school days, I always thought it was a scam because it seemed like the only way one could out win the machine was to shake it and nobody was allowed to do that.

Irritatingly, a crowd of people gathered and I was nervous. I ended up pushing the hamster to an even more unlikely position to be captured. Miffed, I moved away and was contemplating whether or not to try again. In the end Branded was saying there wasn't any harm since I've already changed the money. Yeah, I was prepared to the lose ten bucks anyway.

I tried again at another machine. It took me 3 tries and I got the plush toy !!! I am too lazy to post up a picture of it. I googled the company name and subsequently managed to ID the soft toy but I couldn't get the exact picture. Here is a variation of the toy:


It is a Banpresto 'Chopper'. Banpresto was a sub-contractor of Sega and is now partially owned by Bandai. It now focuses on prize machines.

Now about Chopper, as I do not follow Japanese entertainment stuff much, I had to really look it up. Chopper was an ostracised reindeer due to the blue nose. It ate a magic fruit and then attained cognitive processes. I think the character is either from an animation or a game. Not much information is available from the 15 minutes spent researching on the character.

Nana was mentioning that plush toys in the arcades can be limited editions, not available elsewhere. She intends to wrap things up and sell them in the future. Maybe I should start doing the same.

I spent 8 bucks, out of which 3 bucks was at the machine of 'Chopper'.

I am vastly amused, not to mention happy and imbued with a sense of achievement. Haha.

No comments: