Friday, October 19, 2007

Wherein I pass my driving test the first time round !!!

Amongst the more exciting things that have happened since the concerts that I've attended weeks ago, I've been sick and I've passed my driving FIRST-TIME round.

I didn't go to see a doctor until I was almost recovered. I had a horrible throat infection you see. The doctor prescribed antibiotics, flu medicine and cough syrup. I got a nasal spray for my allergies (FINALLY). Doctors I've seen before told me that I didn't have asthma and only were prepared to give me pills for runny nose or the breathing difficulties I sometimes experienced. They say that my breathing passages constrict but not excessively enough to deem it as asthma. They always asked for me to monitor my situation.......BLEAH

I finally got it this time and it was quite expensive, costing $25. The whole trip to the doctor cost me $50+. Super painful for me since I am trying to defray costs. However it seems that every month I must experience unexpected one-time-off events that have nothing to do with food, transport or even the spending allowance I set aside.

I over-spend every month.

OUCH !!

Oh of course the driving licence is another 50 bucks this month and it is barely one week after pay day.

Sigh.....sometimes I wonder why money just disappear so fast.

Of course on driving. I was exceedingly grateful that I got through the first time. I wasn't nervous, in fact I was as calm as I could be. I have more skirts and shorts than jeans, what to mix and match? In fact having heard how the gentle half of the population got through by wearing mini-skirts, I wonder if I should just wear whatever I want and look good so that I will feel good. Almost immediately, the idea was trashed in favour of more practical clothing. it was a dilemma between looking good and getting a confidence boost or comfort for practical purposes. I calmly reasoned that the more comfortable I am, the better I would be at presenting my driving skills which should be exhibited. I was somewhat feeling quite secured.

Everything went quite smoothly during the trial except for tagging too closely and failing to check blind spots etc...

During the test.....

I struck the kerb once during vertical parking and I failed to park a straight car into the lot even after the tester gave me another shot at it. I was going.. "Oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit" in my head because I couldn't tell if I had mounted or struck the kerb. If I had mounted the kerb, it would be an immediate failure and I thought I felt the car go up....

The tester gave rapid instructions and kept reiterating his instructions when I fail to respond within 2 seconds. He would say turn left and then turn right and then if within 2 seconds the car that had veered left had not veer right, he would repeat for the car to turn right.

Believe me ......if it was anybody else issuing orders in that tone, I would have smacked him.

Oh then my car stalled in the feeder lane.

I went "Oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit" again in my head but I took heart in the fact that he cannot fail nor give me demerit points for the stalling of the engine.

Everything else went quite all right.

The tester followed me after we got out of the car to the briefing room. I was quite strickened because I still didn't know if I had mounted that kerb !!! He refused to say anything and I was too in fear of him to ask. He seemed quite unfriendly.

And then after we sat at the table in a little booth for him to brief me, he started off telling me that I have struck the kerb. I was pursing my lips the whole of the test after the vertical parking segment and I gave him a woebegone face but I heaved a sigh of relief within. He then proceeded to inform me that my engine had stalled.

I bit my lips. He asked me if I knew where it had stalled. Being treated like an errant child, I couldn't help acting like an errant child. "Errr...erm...outside the school...er...the filter lane there..."

"Why did it stall?!!"

"err...let go of the clutch too soon?" I offered in a small voice.

He turned his attention to the evaluation paper and calculated the marks. When he wrote a brisk 16. I couldn't help but broke into a smile. He asked if it was my first driving test and I said yes.

He signed the paper and said, "Ok lah.. driving not too bad..proceed to the first floor"

I couldn't contain my excitement and before I left, I thought I saw a hint of a smile tugging at his stern lips.

Chups - passed driving the first time round !!

The same as the father and the cousin-uncle. It runs in the family !!

Of course the father still doesn't know I've got my licence, though the mother knows.

Now...to indulge in more interesting activities closer to the heart!!

No comments: